A few weekends ago, I surprised David with a surprise trip to DC. I got a great bundle deal on the flight and hotel… Then I began planning our trip. I have been there once and had a general lay of the land to make sure we used our time wisely! Those of you that know me, know I am not good with secrets! But I did it. David knew we were going somewhere, but he didn’t know where until the night before we left!
- Early morning flight to make the most of the day
- Lunch: District Taco – I had the the burrito bowl and hubby had the tacos. Delicious!!!
- Segway Tour as an introduction to the mall and all it has to offer. It was a great ways to see the sites! On our tour, we saw the only tent protestor. She’s been there since 1981 and is 96 years old! She protests all forms of violence. There was a law in 1984 that outlawed tent protestors, but she was grandfathered in.
- Dinner – Burger Tap & Shake: I had a delicious burger called Southern Comfort! Amazing! A very cool suggestion from our Segway guide!
- Breakfast – West Wing Cafe (good affordable breakfast!)
- Library of Congress – we arrived just as it opened and I absolutely recommend this! It was quiet and we got to take it all in!
- Capitol Building Tour – with the Rotunda under construction, it wasn’t as awesome as I’m sure it could be!
- Lunch at the Native American Museum. Another amazing suggestion from our Segway guide with a relaxing view!
- National Museums – Air and Space
- Natural History Museum – my favorite part was the gem exhibit!
- Haunted Pub Crawl – our guide and two of the four stops below!
- Spy Museum
- Arlington Cemetery – we arrived just in time for a changing of the guard ceremony. You can also see the Pentagon from The Arlington Mansion.
- Lunch at Art and Soul – happened upon this place that was across from our hotel. I’ve never been a fan of Bloody Marys but theirs was amazing!
- We took a nap and then had dinner at Wok and Roll in Chinatown. Service was ok, but food was great!
- Night Tour of the Monuments
- Travel home 🙁
Five Tips for a Trip to DC
- Take a Segway tour! We’ve never ridden a Segway before, but we learned quickly and felt very safe on them! Great way to see a city without walking miles!
- Start early and take a nap mid-day. Things get busy mid-day. Start early. We started early on our Library of Congress visit and we were virtually by ourselves. By lunch time the lines were long and things were too crowded to enjoy!
- Ask for local restaurant recommendations! We asked for recommendations and were not disappointed at all!
- Don’t try to see it all. We didn’t see George Washington’s house, the Newseum, the American history or Art museums. Don’t stress. See what you can see!
- Use Uber! There will be a separate blog about Uber coming soon! We loved using it!