Two weekends ago I was able to attend the BlogHer 2017 conference! I held out on registering because I wasn’t sure that the cost would justify the event. I finally registered just two weeks before as the conference was held in Orlando – only about an hour and a half from my house. In years last the conference has been in other US cities and I couldn’t justify the cost of travel, hotel and conference. This year I as able to find a discount for the registration, split the cost of the hotel with bloggy friends and save on travel by driving the short drive to Orlando.
My 5 Takeaways from BlogHer 2017:
- “Be so good they can’t ignore you.” ~@GabiFresh Sometimes we work so hard to be noticed by brands, readers and industry professionals. But it was a nice reminder that no matter what industry or walk of life you find yourself in – work hard to be good, they will find themselves unable to notice you!
- “Be intentional with your brand equity.” ~@theopportunista If you are an entrepreneur – your brand is the most important thing that you have. Know what that brand is and work hard to maintain it.
- Understand that your audience brings their own experiences to the table.” ~@iamkellyburton As a blogger, sometimes I struggle with telling my story because I fear being vulnerable, but knowing that there are people out there that need to hear your story is important.
- Set and hold office hours. ~@SusannaBarbee While I have always tried to set aside time to work on my blog or social media business, I have not been effective about keeping these, therefore my work has suffered.
- Things I’m leaving behind. ~@MyMamihood Sili makes a set of calendars and planners specifically designed for blogging and they include a reflection section. Once of these sections is called Things I’m leaving behind. I was inspired by this section. There are some days and weeks that it feels like we run around and get very little done. Keeping the important things in focus will help me to remember to focus on the things I’m leaving behind.